This was introduced in 1949 in response to requests for a lighter pistol than the M1911A1, yet still capable of firing .45 ACP cartridge. The frame was made from high-strength aluminium alloy; the slide remained steel. Slide and barrel were shortened, giving a handy pistol weighing only 26oz. Recoil was increased commensurate with the reduction in weight, and the Commander required some skill to extract the best from it. It was also made in 9mm Parabellum, .38 Super and (for sale in Italy) 7.65mm Parabellum chamberings.